Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chap Stick, or should I say Lip Balm

How many of you know exactly where at least three different sticks of lip balm are, in your possession, at just about every moment in time? Let us now admit to ourselves that we are indeed addicted to emollience. I currently have one in my nightstand; one lives in the kitchen; one should be in my purse but has been lost; one should be in my car but never made the transfer to the new Mazda 5; there are at least two other places in the house where I know I have a stash, and I have one at each of my places of work. Now I sound more than a little bit obsessed...but I will share with you my favorites anyway.

This time of year, I will admit to not really using my supply of chap stick (or whatever brand it is), but come the dry Chicago winter and I cannot live without it. Funny thing is, as much as I will shortly tell you that I have a definite favorite, I do not have more than one stick of any particular brand. Wierd.

Sugar Lip Treatment by the company Fresh is by far and away the absolute best lip balm I have ever tried. Comes at a hefty price though - $22.50 retail. Ouch. My stick of Sugar has lasted almost two years, but I will admit to using it very sparingly. But it is so good, put it on once in the morning and you honestly probably won't need to reapply except on the driest of winter days. This one is kept on a high shelf in the kitchen cupboard so there is no way the 2 year old can try it on!

So now on to the more "everyday" lip balms (or chappie, as we tend to call it in my house). Another favorite is actually the Whole Foods store brand, tangerine flavor. This one generally lives in my purse. They usually sell it near the checkouts, and it also comes in mint. I love the tangerine though, so have never strayed. If I remember correctly, it has olive oil and coconut oil in it, and the moisturizing qualities last for quite a while, as does the yummy citrus flavor.

My admiration of tangerine lip balm originally came from a stick of Badger Tangerine Breeze balm. Check out the other flavors that they have here. They are even certified organic, and only cost about $3. I have a partially demolished stick of Badger in the nightstand right now - you guessed it, an inquisitive two year old felt like he needed to use it. And push it back in the tube with his finger. But that was not as amusing as the cherry scented body lotion that he (and the carpet) recently tried on....Anyway, I have found Badger lip products at Ulta and Whole Foods, and on occassion at Bath & Body Works.

Speaking of Bath & Body Works, they carry C.O. Bigelow, whose "My Favorite Lip Balm" is recommended by many, but I have never actually tried it. Can't say I shop there much anymore. Same with The Body Shop - as much as I love their lip butters, you do have to apply them with your finger, so they are not always the most practical option. But the flavors are quite nice, and they do leave lips feeling moisturized without being greasy or sticky.

I was about to admit to not even having an actual Chap Stick anywhere, but lo and behold, I have just remembered the stick of vanilla mint that I keep in my husband's car. While not my favorite (just go splurge and buy the Sugar, or at least try it on at Sephora), the good old Chap Stick does the job and doesn't break the bank.

Let me know if you have any other favorites I have not mentioned - I am always up for trying something new!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, I had to buy three tubes of Carmex at Walmart yesterday because nothing else appetizing came in multipacks. I am a Chapstick girl at heart. The Sugar stuff started to make me nauseous at one point. Too much like a direct injection of Starbucks lemon pound cake. But I used it all!

    ReplyDelete