Thursday, September 3, 2009

An hour of peace...with my Nikon D200

If anyone out there actually reads this, you may have noticed that I have been suspiciously silent for the last few weeks. Chalk it up to life with two kids (or with the husband is that three?), two jobs, two dogs, and too much to do.

Finally, I have been granted a reprieve. Everyone else in the house is asleep, even the dogs. And it is not even the middle of the night! But I better go put that last load of laundry in the dryer before I forget - be right back :)

If the load that just came out of the dryer doesn't fold itself, I guess it will still be there in the morning. Oh well. At least getting the other load in to dry means my kids will be dressed in clean clothes tomorrow instead of staying in pajamas all day. I am sure my clothes will be wrinkled, as usual.

Even before the rest of the clan went to bed, I managed to squeak out a few minutes of time on the computer between making dinner and attempting to tidy up and get laundry and other assorted chores done. In the short bits of time, I finally downloaded about 500 pictures from my digital camera, the lovely digital SLR Nikon D200.

I have been an avid photographer for years, and my husband finally got me to go digital about 3 years ago. I won't get into all the details (and apparently they are obsolete anyway as this model has been replaced by the D300) but I love this camera and the pictures I get from it.

But it is sad, in a way, that now I might wait until I have 500 pictures saved up before I even look at some of them. Once, I honestly had over 1000 to download (how's that for a compact flash card!). Back in the old days when I used to use film (and sometimes carry two cameras to be able to shoot black and white at the same time as color) I used to take my rolls of film immediately for developing. I could not wait to see the finished results.

Now, it is just like those commercials. The poor pictures wait, and wait, and wait to be printed and shared with people in the great big wide world. And every time I look at the pictures I have taken, I love what I see. Keep in mind, anything I didn't like was deleted immediately after shooting! Really though, I love to catch a great shot, be it a smile or not, human or animal, vegetable or mineral :) I just have to get my act together and print them out and share them with people.

I guess I better put printer ink on the list, since my photo printer started printing all red last time I used it. And while I'm adding to the technology shopping list, a faster internet connection would be nice. Or perhaps a faster computer would help too. I have been sitting and waiting for some of my photos from a recent horse show to upload to photoshop.com and it is taking forever. I suppose I should just be glad that our internet connection hasn't randomly timed out in the middle of this upload, since I would just have to give up at that point tonight and start again someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment