Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cavalia!

So for anyone out there reading this who does not know me personally, one of my multiple jobs is training horses. Specifically for dressage, but we won't get into all of that right now. All I want to talk about right now is Cavalia. The greatest show under a big top, currently stabled in Chicago.

I saw Cavalia a few years ago in Scottsdale, Arizona and absolutely loved it. I was lucky enough to have been treated to that event by my mom, and it was so good that I went and paid to see it again this weekend here in Chicago. I could go on and on about what I liked, what I loved, and what I wish I could be a part of. But I would hate to give everything away for those who have not had the opportunity to see it.

For the non-horsey crowd, I think anyone would appreciate the beauty and artistry of the show, and of the horses. It is a beautiful blend of equine grace, equestrian skill, acrobatic strength and musical inspiration. From the opening of the show where yearling (one-year-old) horses are literally playing together loose on the stage, to the older stallions working at liberty with their trainer, to the trick riding and quadrille demonstrations, this show is amazing.

For those of us into horses, it is an inspiration to behold. The relationship between the riders/trainers and the horses is one of love and play, never forced or contrived. I left with renewed inspiration to ride for the love of horses, and to teach my students to develop a more harmonious relationship with their horse. This is why we love horses. Go see the show. Whether you ride horses or not, it is worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment